Tuesday, November 8, 2016

First Monday Musings: On Academic Freedom, Administrative Fairness, And Blackface

A thought-provoking Op Ed piece about the UO professor who wore blackface to an off-campus party

Published in "Above the Law" Nov 7, 2016


I had intended to write this month about bar passage rates and the steps we at Illinois took this year (that I hope contributed to our strong results relative to other good schools), but given the recent flap at the University of Oregon over a law faculty member’s wearing of a costume that included blackface at a private, off-campus Halloween party attended by students and faculty members, I think some reflections about “academic freedom” are in order. Although I am a law dean, I express here my own views, not those of my law school or university.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.